Sunday, August 14, 2011

Today Is The First Day of The Rest of My Life

Well Friday was, actually.  Today is the third day of the rest of my life.

I'm on a diet.  Today is day three and I'm a little bit hungry to be real honest.  BUT!!!

And that is a big but, not as in butt which is also pretty big these days, so hence the diet.

I have had a hard time taking this mid-life weight off,  so I sought help.  I went to a doctor with a weight loss program and a diet plan.  I am drinking three shakes a day and eating one meal and I can eat all the pickles I want!  Hey now that's a diet for me!!

And I am getting up in the morning and walking 30 minutes on the treadmill.

It just came down to "want to."  I had to find my want to.  Food is not really an emotional thing for me, if anything it might be a boredom thing but my problem has not been how much I eat but what I'm eating.

God has been talking to me for a pretty long while now.  I am so thankful that he keeps after me and doesn't do to me what I would do, which is ask once maybe twice and then say "away with you, off with her head!"

Not really, I wouldn't say off with her head!  Ha.

Would I, Mom?

Forget that I said that.

God has spoken to me through friends and family on multiple occasions.  I had to finally quit kidding myself that I could eat anything and everything that I wanted to and get my priorities straight.  Be honest with myself.

Here's the deal, I'm weighing in at 168.5 and I want to weigh 135.  I wearing size 12 and I want to wear 6's.  They measured me to but sorry I don't remember what those were.  That's the facts.  I realize that is not as much as some have to lose and more than some but the things is, it is a change and change takes perseverance and determination and want to.

So the diet this doctor gave me has almost nothing on that I like.  Normally, that would be a stumbling block but not this time!  I'm ready to get back to the girl I use to be.  The one whose philosophy was "eat to live not live to eat" and whose body craved the good stuff, like vegetables and salads and water.

My honey stood in the kitchen tonight and asked me, "so am I on a diet too?"

Yes, yes you are.  Are you okay with that?

The way I see it is you have to want it more than you want the chips or the chocolate or the whatevers, so when my brain finally puts it in that perspective there is no temptation to cheat, at all!  I simply don't want it.

I have a deep desire to please God and to grow closer to Him through this time of transition by praying when cravings come along and trusting His word that I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  Which has been a mantra that I repeat whenever I feel the need for strength.

Like I said this is just day 3 and I have 87 more to go.  My goal is to lose 35 lbs and at 10 lbs per month, I should be reaching my goal by Thanksgiving.

In the grand scheme of things not so much time to spend setting yourself free from the bondage that holds you down, makes you feel guilty, robs you of your energy and just plan makes you feel not so pretty anymore.

Let's face it I like clothes and I want to walk in my closet in the mornings and grab whatever pair of jeans I want to wear and put them on!  Pick out a cute shirt and an equally cute pair of shoes and hit the floor running.  No longer focused on the clothes that don't fit and looking for that ONE pair of jeans, hoping they have been washed or not washed.  Know what I mean?

I want to honor God by respecting my body which is His temple.  And then there are the kids.  My job is to show them how to dig down deep and pull out the strength and determination to face any obstacle, claim it and make it your own.

I'm not saying it is easy, but I am also not saying that it has been that hard.  Today was day three and this was the day that I was suppose to have a big headache from sugar withdrawals.  I had a small one this morning but it just went away.  They tell me that day five is the day when I will feel bad from carbohydrate withdrawals, but you know what, I have things to do that day.  So I don't have time for that either.  We'll see, I'll let you know how it goes.

Until then, I am not letting go.  I will not give in.  I want this bad enough to pay the price it takes to get it.  And if that price is to deny myself some things then I'm good with that.

Oh yea and hunger pains they are sign that what your doing is working.  It's not like we are really going to starve to death.  So when I feel hungry I call that victory.

Maybe do a little victory dance.  And then get me a pickle or something raw, like celery.

Maybe you ladies here can be one more accountability group for me.  If you are on the same journey that I am we can go together or if you are facing this in your future let me be your cheering partner.

I picked up a book called "Made To Crave".  She is digging deep into scripture and showing all the places that Satan used food to draw us away from God.  Our cravings are carvings for God and we replace them with the things of this world be it food, or whatever vice that has a hold on you.  We are meant for so much more in this life.  There is kingdom work to be done and I am not a very good servant when I don't feel good.

So no more.


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.   Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 


In your struggle against sin, you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.  And you have forgotten that word of encouragement that addresses you as sons:


"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline,
and do not lose heart when he rebukes you,
because the Lord disciplines those he loves, 
and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son."


  
Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons (and daughters).


Hebrews 12:1-7
      

8 comments:

Laura said...

This is wonderful and inspiring-
I needed to read this this evening and I know who planned that-
God.

Thank you Jerri-

Laura
White Spray Paint

Tina said...

I pray that you succeed in your weight loss! I've been eating healthier since April 25th and I've lost 25 lbs! If I can do it..anyone can! Keep up the good work! Stay focused and it will work for you too!

Down On The Farm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Down On The Farm said...

Good for you! Three years ago I got serious about my weight and took off 30 pounds that 20 years and two kids had added to my body. I felt GREAT! Unfortunately, I did NOT keep my cravings on HIM and slipped back to my old ways and let about 18 pounds creep back on. This past spring I too felt led to be serious about my health and weight, and I've dropped 12 pounds. I still have a few more to go, and I wish I could tell you it is easier this time around, but it isn't. Our health is SO important and we, as moms MUST take time to take care of ourselves. You can do it my friend! One day at a time. (Oh, and don't listen to all that you-will-have-a-headache, you-will-feel-tired talk. Focus on Jesus!)

Kristi said...

Great post, Jerri! Your wisdom floors me (I know it's from your relationship with God). Very convicting...I'll jump on the bandwagon, too. Love you!!!

Brent said...

Way to go Sister! I think I need to join you... in my case it's to be able to perform at the high physical level my job requires, as well as to be alive and healthy to disciple my kids and Grandkids when the time comes... I'm in!

ThisVintageHouse said...

Love your blog and LOVED your post! I'm a texas bloggy girl too.

Diane

Great Britain Shop Information said...

Hello,I came across to your blog from google. Really a fantastic article. I loved it and willing to come back again.Best Regards,Emma Dawson http://gbshop.info/

Blog Widget by LinkWithin