Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Scripture Memory 2009

Isaiah 61: 1-3

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, 
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives,
and release from darkness for the prisoners, 
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion--
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD 
for the display of his splendor.


I chose this verse as my memory scripture because, I know phrases but not the whole verse or it's address.  My desire is to know it and to own it.  I want to know where it is and what it says and why it says it.  I want to know when to apply it in prayer or how to apply God word in counsel.  And I want it quick.  Right there just waiting for the Holy Spirit to bring it to the forefront of my mind when just the right words are needed.  I can't do that unless I put forth the effort to learn, dig, hide and know.



I love this verse because it says that God sent Jesus to preach, proclaim, release, comfort, provide and bestow.  
And that he came for the brokenhearted, the captives and  prisoners, 
for those who grieve, and mourn, 
to bestow beauty, gladness, praise and righteousness
 instead of ashes, mourning or despair. 
 For the display of God's splendor.



Now with NIV translation, Strong's Concordance, and Webster's dictionary:
The Spirit {breath, wind of heaven} of the Sovereign {excellent, supreme} LORD  {undisputed existing One, Jehovah, Be} is on me, because he {Be, Jehovah} has anointed {smeared, painted} me to preach {announce salvation} to the poor {humble, needy}.  He has sent {extended, stretched out, set free} me to bind {wrap, cover, hold, make firm} the broken {maimed, crippled, destroy, torn} hearted {mind, understanding, wisdom, inner man, soul, conscience, seat of appetites} to proclaim {call unto, cry out, to summon, invite, appoint, be chosen} freedom {liberty, pure, free run} for the captives and release from darkness {dismal, gloomy, dark view of the future} for the prisoners {those who are bound}, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor {pleasure, delight, acceptance, desire, will} and the day of vengeance {revenge, avenge oneself, vengeance be taken for blood}  of our God, to comfort {console, repent, have compassion, ease} all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion--



to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes {worthlessness}, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair.  They will be called oaks of righteousness {what is right, just, normal, vindicated, deliverance, of people enjoying salvation, of God as covenant keeping in redemption}  a planting {to place or act} of the LORD for the display of his splendor {glory, beauty}. 



2 comments:

Dawn Jenkins said...

Loved the pics...wow a picture is worth a thousand words. I didn't realize ashes meant worthlessness. I think I might us that when I go to Seminole??? I saw you posted at 2 in the morning...I hope you got a little sleep last night!

Sherry said...

Great pics! I love that verse. I am memorizing a small one this time...too much going on with illnesses...keep praying. I do think I have everyone taken care of for the time being.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin